- Western Springs School District 101
BOARD BRIEF - DEC 2018
7th and 8th Grade Girls’ Basketball Teams
McClure’s 7th and 8th grade girls’ basketball teams, Coach Leddy and Coach Cuff were recognized by the Board of Education for their undefeated seasons. It was the second undefeated season for the 8th grade team, as this group finished their careers 32-0. Coach Cuff noted that he believes this to be the first career undefeated girls basketball team in the school’s long history.
National Board Certified Teachers
Eleven (11) D101 teachers were recognized for receiving National Board Certification (NBC). Only 3% of teachers nationwide have achieved this high standard of certification. Dr. Coffey noted that 73 school buildings across the nation had four or more teachers receive NBC this year, and District 101 had two of them, with Field Park and McClure being recognized for this honor.
2018 LEVY HEARING
Dr. Barnhart presented this year’s Levy. The overall requested increase is 4.5%, although it is expected the actual realized increased will be approximately 3.8%, with existing homeowners experiencing a Consumer Price Index-equivalent increase of approximately 2.1%.
75% of the District operational costs are salaries and benefits for employees and are paid from the Education Fund. The remaining 25% of District costs have been flat for the past several years.
Educational Foundation Update
The Western Springs Foundation for Educational Excellence (WSFEE), agreed to partially fund the Renovation for Innovation grant request. These funds will match District funds in creating more conducive classroom spaces to today’s teaching and learning, including a focus on multiple learning spaces within a classroom, flexible furniture, classroom color and paint, adjustable lighting, and innovative technologies.
The 2018 FY audit has been received by the District. Work will begin now on the Management Discussion and Analysis. It is anticipated that a January 2019 approval and filing of the audit is likely.
Approved TTO Resolution
The Board approved a resolution to further assess the relationship between District 101 and the Township Treasurer Organization (TTO).
Approved Policy #9360
The Board Meeting Procedures Policy #9360 was discussed by the Board, with plans to approve a slightly-revised version in January.
Approved 2019 - 2020 Calendar
The Board of Education approved the calendar for the 2019 - 2020 school year. The first day of school for students will be Monday, August 26. Winter Break will run from December 23 through January 3. Spring Break will run from March 23 through 27. The anticipated last day of school will be Wednesday, June 3.